Apparently, Anne and i have more than knitting in common. we went to Eldora today for the thrill of trying to stay up right while on cross-country skis. it was great. i fell a lot. i still think i love my new sport. driving down the canyon, i announced, "oh my lungs feel so good with all the mountain air!" anne, probably thinks i am a dork .
the knitting front is good and busy (except for the "injury" i received while at an eatery this evening. i sort of pinched and tore a hunk of skin out of my left pointer finger-- also known as the dependable pointer finger that pushes the knitting needle. i can sort of do it with my 'tall man' or if my pointer is wrapped in a wad of band-aids. ) but i must admit that with all the babies arriving, i won't be posting many pictures of it all-- until it's been received. i can tell you this: 5 blankets needed; two blankets done!
oh and to add to my nordic winter, i now am the proud (down right beaming!) of this-- i thought i was going to have to make a 'special' trip to Telluride-- the last place i had laid my pretty little hands on it!
Sunday, January 07, 2007
- i wanted to show a picture of the holiday ornament that is inspiring my Nordic sweater. The swatch is still in the "swatching" form-- which means i haven't done anything new to it. I'll keep ya posted. I used Cascade 220 for my swatch but now i am wondering if i want to use Knit Picks Telemark (i think might be better for a "two layer" garment and way cheaper), or O~wool's Classic (i think the yarn is too thick?)-- both would require some new swatching for mathematical sake.
- During the time at home i took a small break from gift knitting to make myself a Calorimetry. It took a little knittin'-and-rippin' to get a good size and the short row holes resolved. I used Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran on size US 6 needles and by mere chance had a perfectly-pink button in my jar. And by golly, it sure does help to keep me warm when i have my hair pulled up.
- And i feel i need to make a public statement: hi my name is emily and i am a yarn snob.I got a Lion Brand catalog in the mail the other day. Now while i am a yarn snob, i do not refuse to look through a catalog, but didn't think i would be interested in anything.Well lookie there: Lion Brand has Organic Cotton! (which i would happily link you to, but can not find it on their site-- hmm?) Hot damn! "Now i can get loads of organic cotton on the cheap, " i cleverly thought to myself. Let's do a little math shall we?
- Lion Brand Organic Cotton: 82 yards at $6.99 per skein would be $0.085 per yard.
- Blue Sky Alpaca Organic Cotton: 150 yards at ~$9.75 per skein (that's what i paid just recently) would be $0.065 per yard.
- Henry's Attic Inca Cotton (100% organic): 650 yards at $21.00 per bag (you have to order in bags, 2 hanks per bag) would be $0.032.
- Clearly i should be ordering from Discount Yarn Sales for my organic "fix", but that yarn is slightly thick and thin. So, I am happy to report that I can continue to be a snob and buy Blue Sky Alpacas and not completely through money away.
- I was knitting in the tea shop the other day. I was approached my a child curious about my knitting. She smiled at me, i half smiled back. Then she came over and sat down right next to me, with out talking to her mother, and proceeded to interview me about knitting and what i was making. I thought the whole experience was a little odd, given the mother's complete lack of attention to her child. Then is struck me: this is clearly a child raised in a "It takes a Village" mentality. She was a Village-child. And then they left.
Thursday, January 04, 2007
New Year's Meme (a little late...)
First Things First:
What is the first thing you did in the new year? after waking from a restful slumber (of which started in the "old" year) i got in the shower.
What is the first thing you ate in the new year? Scrambled eggs with cheese, 3 slices of bacon, a glass of orange juice.
What is the first thing you knit in the new year? still cranking away on the log cabin baby blanket.
What is your first ‘blessing’ of the new year? i didn't break any limbs while "gracefully falling" down a hill on the new x-country skis.
What is the first thing you will do to make the world a better place in the new year? teach the wee-folk i care for that you don't have to be friends, but you do have to be respectful. (I am also adopting strong recycle-reuse-reduce practices this year-- including composting,)
Post the first photo you took in the new year!
After my first real x-country "adventure"!
Happy New Year... may your year be filled with peace, prosperity, and compassion.