Friday, December 29, 2006

Nordic Winter

I wouldn't normally be one to brag about my Christmas loot, but i must share a few things.



These boots (this blog is now all about boots and socks) i've had for a few weeks-- and thank goodness i have plenty of snow to wear them in. They are wool boots, with wonderful rubber soles (perfect for packed and icy snow). They are hand made in Norway... i ordered them from Alaska.

I also got my VERY FIRST pair of skis-- in my entire life. As a colorado native, i've never once been on skis, gone skiing, or been to a ski resort with snow-- it's a long story, but it never peaked my interest. But i was recently thinking about trying cross-country skiing-- warming up the idea of renting a pair and trying. Then the snow fell-- lots of snow fell. And while out one snowy day Tom cleverly drove me by the North Boulder Park-- groomed for cross country and skate skiing. I was down right giddy with excitement sitting in the truck, mesmerized by the activity. And then everything fell into place (sale prices, discounts and friendly tech information) and i found myself (and Tom too) set up ready for skiing--anytime there is snow. I'm pretty darn excited-- better go treat my new ski boots (also part of the christmas haul along with new wool socks, gaiters, wool base layer, snowshoes, nordic "Norway" hat, and a Johnny Cash cd) with water proofer.

Knitting



With the school-closing blizzard last week i found myself with much desired time home. I got all the elfie holiday tasks done: made peppermint bark, wrapped packages, make pecan treats, and knit, knit, knit ( i forgot to take a picture of the lace alpaca scarf i made for my mother). I started yet another organic cotton baby blanket ( have i mentioned i know 6 pregnant women right now).
I swatched (I only do when i absolutely have to) my thoughts for a new Nordic (of course) sweater based on a kindred childhood character (which also inspired the Saint Lucia Christmas)-- who i have in ornament form. Turns out it will be a bit of a modified fana sweater-- and i'll create/write the pattern.


The swatch was especially helpful as it was my first steek experience. It was a little spooky, but went well. Next up, washing, blocking and measuring. Then the math piece and yarn purchasing and i'll be casting on.


The snow has been falling again and quiet inspiring-- not to mention I got another snow day at home (i.e 3 day weekend became 4 1/2 day weekend).

1 comment:

dlittlegarden said...

Those little red wool boots are SO great! Where did you order them from? I can't wait to see how this new sweater of yours turns out.